They Will Never Get The Records From UTA
Because They Don’t Exist
June 14, 2012 3:45 PM
NEW YORK (CBSNEWYORK/AP) – The Brooklyn sex abuse trial has been postponed for a spiritual adviser accused of molesting a teenage girl for years.
Nechemya Weberman has pleaded not guilty to committing a criminal sex act, rape, endangering the welfare of a child and sexual abuse. His lawyer George Farkas has said his client has counseled people in his Hasidic Jewish community for years and is in no way capable of abusing the girl.
The girl, now 17, says she was abused for nearly three years starting in 2007.
The trial was postponed Thursday because of outstanding legal issues and a hearing was set for July 18.
The girl’s family says they have been ostracized while the 53-year-old Weberman has been embraced. The case highlights beliefs in the insular Brooklyn community that problems should be dealt with from within, and elders have more authority than the young.
Joel Engelman, a victims advocate, believes the trial delay could be a tactic by the defense to drag out the case and put pressure on the family to possibly deter them from testifying.
“The sooner justice can be served, the better the outcome for the justice for victims will be,”Engelman said. “The family is very steadfast in going forward although they are receiving enormous amounts of pressure, intimidation and threats, they are very much going forward with this case.”
The case recently made headlines after posters in Hebrew urging support for Weberman were put up in Williamsburg.
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
Please Read the Comments
Defense team cites procedural delays
By Oren Yaniv / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, June 14, 2012, 1:18 PM
A scheduled trial for a Hasidic counselor accused of molesting a teenage girl was postponed Thursday because of procedural hurdles — which critics slammed as stalling tactics by the defense.
Lawyers for Nechemya Weberman, 53, said a yeshiva that the accuser attended has yet to respond to a subpoena requesting records, prompting a Brooklyn Supreme Court judge to authorize a contempt proceeding against the Williamsburg school.
Defense attorneys also indicated they’re contemplating a change of venue motion. They will likely argue that recent publications on the district attorney’s handling of sex abuse cases involving Orthodox Jews has tainted the jury pool, sources said.
But such requests are almost never granted, according to legal experts.
“They think that if they stall long enough, the pressure will get to the victim,” Joel Engelman, an advocate for abuse victims, said of the defense team.
He noted that the non-cooperative Satmar yeshiva, United Talmudic Academy, is affiliated with Weberman, who was arrested on February 2011.
Defense lawyer George Farkas said any motion is meant to properly represent his client.
“If there is any fairness or justice in this world, this man is going to be exonerated,” he declared.
The now 17-year-old girl claimed Weberman forced her to perform sex acts starting when she was 12 after her school referred her to him for counseling.
“My understanding is that they're still steadfast,” Engelman said of her family. “But they’re under enormous pressure.”
Alleged victims in the insular, ultra-Orthodox community are routinely subjected to repercussions and threats, prosecutors and advocates have said.
The contentious case pitted supporters and detractors of Weberman last month when a fundraiser for his legal fees was met with protesters.
The case is now scheduled to July 18 for a decision on the defense motions.
Last Updated: 3:35 PM, June 14, 2012
Posted: 12:54 PM, June 14, 2012
The start of a sex-abuse trial for a prominent Williamsburg rabbi was delayed today because a yeshiva keeps ignoring requests for information from his defense team.
The case of Nechemya Weberman, an ultra-Orthodox rabbi charged with molesting a 12-year old girl over three years, was pushed back to July 18 as a judge weighs whether to slap contempt of court charges against the United Talmudical Academy.
“I was trying to avoid doing that to give the school an opportunity to respond,” Justice Ruth Shillingford said.
The 53-year-old accused child molestor is affiliated with the yeshiva, where his alleged victim — who was supposed to be mentored by him about religion — was a student.
But Weberman’s lawyers said the yeshiva has ignored letters and subpoenas for records on the rabbi, whose supporters last month rallied to raise funds for his legal defense.
“The only way to obtain these records at this point is to threaten the school and its administration with contempt,” said George Farkas, a defense lawyer for the 53-year-old rabbi.
Yeshiva officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
The case returned to court as District Attorney Charles Hynes has come under fire for not publicly identifying the nearly 100 accused perverts from Brooklyn's ultra-Orthodox neighborhoods now facing sex charges.
The prosecutor has maintained that doing so would put victims at risk for harassment within the ultra-Orthodox community.
But Weberman's accuser, now 17, isn't backing down, said victims’ advocate Joel Engelman.
“She's very strong in her conviction to go forward,” he said. “But she's been made to feel very uncomfortable.”
Farkas insisted Weberman is innocent.
“If there is any fairness or justice in this world, this man is going to exonerated,” he said.
He Needs More Time To Intimidate The Victims Family
Rabbi Nuchem Rosenberg
Hasidic Jewish community.|Joel Engelman|Nechemya Weberman|Williamsburg|